SEATTLE ACADEMY 2017/18 PARKING PERMITS
WE ASK FOR YOUR SUPPORT, COOPERATION, AND PATIENCE again this year as we seek to effectively manage Seattle Academy’s parking. On a daily basis, we ask that you please know and follow the rules that have been established for parking. Everyone who parks on campus, including faculty and staff, pays for a parking permit in order to subsidize the high cost of providing parking in an urban area.
For the 2017/18 school year, student parking is available in the Temple lot on 16th Avenue and the lot at 14th Avenue and Columbia. The parking lots are the same distance from the Upper School block.
During the school day, from 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM, parking in all school lots will be assigned. If you intend to drive to school on a regular basis, you should purchase a parking permit and park in your assigned lot. Permits specific to the assigned lots will be issued, and cars will be monitored for display of permits. Any car without the correct permit for the lot in which it is parked may be towed at the owner’s expense. For students occasionally driving to school, there are several public pay lots in close proximity to the School.
We must be good neighbors. How we drive and park is a very visible aspect of our presence in the community. If our student drivers occupy the limited public parking available on neighborhood streets, we will be adding to the frustration of residents and local businesses, just at the time when we need to be building community relations. We strongly encourage students and parents to form carpools and/or to use public transport. For this reason, carpools receive priority in the allocation of permits based on the priorities listed below.
Student parking permits will be allocated based on the following priorities:
1) Student drivers of carpools serving 4 or more Seattle Academy students, with priority going to seniors (4 seniors get priority over 3 seniors & 1 junior, which gets priority over 2 seniors & 2 juniors, etc.)
2) Student drivers of carpools serving 3 Seattle Academy students, with priority going to seniors as stated in #2
3) Student drivers of carpools serving 2 Seattle Academy students, with priority going to seniors as stated in #2
*If availability of parking is insufficient to serve all student drivers in these categories, driving distance from school will be considered, with priority given to those who live farthest away.
Seattle Academy Parking Guidelines
Please read carefully and retain the following guidelines for reference during the year. If you wish to purchase a 2017/18 parking permit, please return the permit application with payment.
1. Students who drive to school will not be allowed to park in school lots unless they have purchased parking permits and have them on display in their cars. Permits specific to the assigned lots will be issued, and cars will be monitored for display of permits.
2. Any car parked in a school lot without a current permit on display may be towed at the owner’s expense.
3. Any permitted driver who continues to park in a lot that has not been assigned to him/her, after being warned, will have his/her permit revoked.
4. Any permitted driver who continues to drive recklessly in or near a school parking lot will have his/her permit revoked.
5. Parking permits are exclusive to the lot to which the student has been assigned: cars may not be driven between lots and parked under one permit in different parking lots.
6. Permits may be transferred between cars in a carpool. Permits are designed to hang from the rearview mirror for convenience in transferring them between cars.
7. Parking is not allowed in the small Temple lot on Union or the Cardinal Union Building (CUB) lot. Cars parked in the small Temple lot or at the CUB will be towed.
8. Seattle Academy and Temple De Hirsch Sinai are not responsible in any way for damage to or loss of your vehicle or its contents.
9. Parking is not allowed in the Temple lot during the Temple’s Religious holidays, such as Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. For 2016/2017, Rosh Hashanah is on Monday, October 3, and Yom Kippur is on Wednesday, October 12.
10.Seattle Academy reserves the right to notify student drivers in advance of any days when parking will not be allowed in school lots.
11.Parking Permits are for parking from 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM, Monday through Friday, except as otherwise notified.
12.Parking for school-sponsored after-school activities and events will be on a first-come-first-served basis. If you have a permit to park in a lot during the school day, you may leave your car there for a school-sponsored after-school activity; otherwise your car must be moved by 3:30 PM.
13.Parking Permits are available for purchase on an annual basis only. Permits purchased before or during the fall trimester will cost the full amount; permits purchased during the winter trimester will cost 2/3 of the full amount; and permits purchased during the spring trimester will cost 1/3 of the full amount.
14.Refunds for returned permits will only be given if requested on or before September 16, 2017.
15.If you purchase a carpool permit, and later lose your carpoolers (or vice-versa), please notify Julie Gommi (206-676-6802).
16.Questions about parking/parking permits should first be addressed to Transportation Manager Loyal Hanrahan (206-676-6847) and then to Julie Gommi (206-676-6802).